- This event has passed.
Emotional Skills and Competences (ESaC)
March 15th 2018 @ 08:00 - March 16th 2018 @ 17:00 CET
This two-day course consists roughly of four parts: recognizing your own emotions, managing your own emotions, recognizing emotions with others and finally managing them. Recognizing your own emotions at an early stage and managing them helps you to build a relationship or to get more results from a conversation. Recognizing an emotion with others, sometimes even before the other person is aware of this emotion, makes it possible to adjust your conversation accordingly. This way you can show more empathy or try to get rid of unwanted emotions by your discussion partners.
You’ll become acquainted with the Emotional Timeline, which gives you insight into the build-up of an emotion. You learn to interpret facial expressions, but also the other four important communication channels that are necessary to be able to read emotions: body language, use of voice, verbal style and verbal content. The broad applications and benefits of ESaC have been described by Dr Paul Ekman as follows:
“In any transaction that matters, between what we are looking for, between what we think is between lovers, between the salesman and the client, between the doctor and the patient, between suspect and interrogator and between adversaries at an election. Emotions tell us what matters.”– Paul Ekman (www.bigthink.com/think-tank/lie-to-me)
Structure of the course
This is a two-day course, the structure of which is as follows:
- Day 1: The theory and science behind this course. In addition, we start with the skill of interpreting facial expressions and body language.
- Day 2: The skills of voice use, verbal style and content. You then apply this knowledge and skills using a conversation model.
The offered material is a balanced mix of plenary sessions, syndicate assignments, observation assignments and individual assignments. The trainers certified by Paul Ekman are experienced in the instruction world, but also in the practical application of the material. The course is unique in the Netherlands. Woodland Emotional Intelligence is the only training institute in the Kingdom of the Netherlands that is certified to offer this course.
The course concludes with an online test.
Goals of the course
After the course you will be able to:
- understand how emotions work;
- be aware of impulses that cause emotions;
- be aware when an emotion arises;
- be aware when you are in the grip of an emotion;
- recognize emotions in another person (often before the other person is aware of this emotion);
- acknowledge emotions in someone else and gain more insight here;
- apply the acquired knowledge skills constructively in a conversation.
1.348 euros (incl VAT).